The Linux-based SpamAssassin is a multi-threaded application that can analyze multiple messages simultaneously. With the SpamAssassin Virtual Appliance, system administrators can leverage the Linux-based SpamAssassin client without building an entire Linux environment from scratch. Since it is easily configured, extensive Linux knowledge is not required. NOTE: This article assumes that you are at least familiar with the functionality of VMWare Server or VMWare player.
Applies to SmarterMail 8.x - 14.x
Follow these steps to download and install the SpamAssassin Virtual Appliance:
- Download the virtual appliance from here.
- Download: Latest version of SAVASM VMW version (.zip archive) from either mirror 1 or mirror 2.
- Load the virtual machine image into VMWare Server or VMWare Player.
- Power on the virtual machine and let the system boot.
- When prompted with Kudzu, press any key to configure new hardware.
- Select Remote Configuration.
- Select Configure.
- Configure the networking options as desired.
- Click OK.
- When prompted to login, use:
- Username: root
- Password: savasm
- Change the root password by using this command: passwd
- Enter the new password twice.
- When finished, enter logout to exit the terminal.
Web Administration Configuration
Follow these steps to configure SAVASM web portal:
- From a web browser, navigate to: http://savasm_ip:10000/
- When prompted to login, use the new root and the password you created.
- When logged in, go to Servers ->SpamAssassin Mail Filter.
- Click Spam Startup Parameters.
- You will see this:
d -u spamassassin -c -i -A 192.168. -H --max-children=5 --max-conn-per-child=128 -s /var/log/spamd.log --virtual-config-dir=/vhome/%u/spamassassin -r /var/run/spamassassin/spamd.pid
- Look for the –A switch, there is an IP there. It is set to 192.168., this means that SpamAssassin will allow all connections from the 192.168.*.* network. Change this to the SmarterMail IP or range of IPs. If you need to list individual IPs, separate them with commas. Examples:
- Specific IP: 10.1.1.1
- Specific Network (10.1.1.*): 10.1.1.
- Two SmarterMail Servers: 10.1.1.5,10.1.1.6
- Once you are finished changing the configuration, you will need to restart SpamAssassin.
- Go to: System -> Bootup/Shutdown
- Select SpamAssassin.
- Then click Restart Selected.
Test SpamAssassin with SmarterMail
To test SpamAssassin, follow these steps:
- Log in to SmarterMail as the system administrator.
- Click the Security icon.
- Expand the Advanced Settings folder and click SpamAssassin Servers.
- Click New in the content pane.
- Enter the Following information: Name, IP of your SAVASM appliance, and Port of 783.
- Click Save.
- Click Antispam Administration in the navigation pane.
- Enable Remote SpamAssassin.
- Click Save.